Portsmouth’s Mountbatten Leisure Centre has been transformed and is throwing open its doors for local residents to get active for free on Sunday 29 July 2018 between 10am – 4pm.
They will be able to try out lots of sports and activities including the venue’s two brand new visitor attractions; a popular Clip ‘N Climb and a Soft Play zone.
BH Live’s 813 and 527 class programme for young people will be running throughout the day alongside street dance, junior boxing, tennis, walking netball and family stretch classes.
There is a free Wet and Wacky pool fun session between 10.15-12.15pm and children under 12 years old can swim for free during public swimming sessions.
The venue’s health and wellbeing facilities, event spaces and Terrace Café have been revamped too.
Instructors will be taking Power, Primal, Play and Pulse classes in the new-look gym and the health and fitness team will be on hand to promote activities and courses. This includes group exercise classes for people living with, or recovering from health conditions including diabetes, strokes and COPD.
The Terrace Café will be showcasing its improved food and drink menu and the venue’s refurbished function rooms and event spaces will be kitted out and open for event organisers, wedding couples and party planners to view.
Mountbatten’s venue operator, BH Live, has carried out these improvements in partnership with Portsmouth City Council as part of a 10-year investment plan into the city’s sport and event venues.
“The new attractions and refreshed spaces at Mountbatten look brilliant, says Mike Lyons, BH Live’s Director of Sport and Leisure.
“We are especially excited to be unveiling our Clip ‘N Climb which is a super activity for all.
“At our open day there will be lots of free sessions and group exercise classes for people to enjoy. There will be five-day guest pass giveaways and we will also be promoting our summer activity programme, great value family membership, swimming lessons and pay-as-you-go activities – perfect timing for the school summer holidays.”
Cllr Steve Pitt, Portsmouth City Council’s Cabinet Member for Culture, Leisure & Sport adds, “The new facilities, range of classes and activities on offer at Mountbatten are great, and I hope lots of people will come along and try them at the free get active day on Sunday 29 July.”
Find out more about the open day and booking activities by calling the venue on 02393 200401 or visiting bhliveactive.org.uk/mountbatten
Notes to Editors:
- Clip ‘N Climb taster sessions are for 30 minutes per person (aged 4+ years). This includes a 15 minute safety briefing and 15 minutes on the walls.
- Maximum weight per climber is 150kgs.
- Soft play taster sessions are for children aged under 5 years old and are 15 minutes per person.
- All activities have maximum participation numbers and are available on a first come first served basis.
- From Sunday 22 July, customers can book activities online at bhliveactive.org.uk or telephone the venue on 023 9320 0401.
- Wet and Wacky – children must be aged 8+ and be a confident swimmer to use the pool inflatables.
- Swimming pool ratios:
- Two children aged 4-7 years old to one adult (18+)
- Under 4s – one child to one adult
- Photographs and/or video will be taken during the event. By taking part in this event visitors grant BH Live rights to use the images / footage, and any reproductions or adaptations of the images for marketing, publicity and promotion. This may include (but is not limited to), the right to use images / footage in printed and online publicity, social media, press releases and documents. If customers do not wish to be photographed please inform the photographer.
- Preview the new look gym on YouTube at https://youtu.be/eK4k6EW5RqI
For more information about BH Live please contact:
T: (01202) 055562
About BH Live
BH Live is the south coast’s leading operator of leisure and event venues; a social enterprise that designs and builds engaging experiences to inspire people and enrich lives.
With 3.4 million visits a year and over £39 million turnover, the organisation is changing lives – placing it at the heart of the UK’s growing social economy.
In 2016/17 BH Live hosted more than 500 events, sold over half a million cultural, sporting and entertainment tickets. They had 2.9 million activity attendances in its leisure centres and welcomed 100,000 conference and exhibition delegates into its venues. This contributed an estimated £44 million to the local economy through business and cultural tourism. For more visit bhlive.org.uk
Get social with us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter @BHLIVE_UK
In Portsmouth BH Live operates the following venues in partnership with Portsmouth City Council:
- Mountbatten Leisure Centre – Portsmouth’s flagship leisure and event venue with a national-class 50m swimming pool, 150 station gym, 8 court sports hall, squash, spin and dance studios, a cycle velodrome, athletics track, function suites, and an onsite café
- Pyramids – one of Portsmouth’s leading entertainment and leisure complexes with views of Southsea beach and the Solent. It has fun pools, flumes, waves and a three-level soft play adventure world. There is also a multipurpose gym, more than 60 weekly fitness classes and a spa. Regular live music performances, conferences, exhibitions and private events are hosted in the venue
- Portsmouth Gymnastics Centre – consists of a state-of-the-art gymnastics hall, physiotherapy room and meeting room
- Portsmouth Tennis Centre – A 10 court tennis facility in the north of Portsmouth (just off the M275) consisting of 4 indoor courts and 6 floodlit outdoor courts. A comprehensive tennis coaching programme caters for all ages and abilities and is the hub of disability tennis in the area. The programme runs sessions for tots, juniors, adults and also includes variations of the sport such as cardio tennis and touch tennis
- Eastney Swimming Pool – 20m swimming pool and a spectators’ area
- Wimbledon Park Sports Centre – 20 station gym, 5 badminton courts, basketball court and sports hall
- Charter Community Sports Centre – 20m swimming pool, 20 station gym, sports hall and an outdoor multi-use games area.